Risk in Agile and Traditional Project

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMI-ACP® clients
bs_pani

Risk in Agile and Traditional Project

Postby bs_pani Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:46 pm

How is the Risk associated with Agile and Traditional Project. During the start of the project is Risk high in Agile Project or in Traditional Project?
sarawat
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Risk in Agile and Traditional Project

Postby sarawat Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:25 pm

Hello,

how risk is associated in traditional project ?
Sanjay = i think for traditional more or less we all follow risk management process as per PMBOK. we start from identifying the risk etc,. etc ...........

how risk is associated in agile project ?
Sanjay = there is no defined structure however tom de marco + tim lister gave organic way of managing risk for agile projects. we have few slides on this topic.

During the start of the project is Risk high in Agile Project or in Traditional Project?

risk is high on both at beginning .

For agile - risk is addressed/taken care pretty faster and uncertainty keeps narrowing down as an when we progress.

For traditional - it takes pretty long time to address risk when comparing it with the way we address risk in agile

you will find this in Mike's book. refer Agile value proposition diagram. page 84.

I am wondering if I answered what you were looking for. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks n Regards,
Sanjay Singh Rawat
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:06 pm

My doubt was based on this question. I found similar question in Quampus.

“Project risk is highest at the beginning of a project”. In asserting this statement, which one of the following actually contradicts it through its practices?
1 Traditional project management
2 Iterative methods
3 Agile
4 XP
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:03 pm

Here is another question from Quampus.

All projects have to deal with certain level of uncertainty. Uncertainty can arise from deficiencies in several different areas of knowledge such as contextual information about the product, project, our understanding of underlying processes. PMO of an organization which specializes in building anti money laundering product for banking sector have some projects which have recently transitioned from traditional waterfall to Agile methodology while some projects are still using traditional plan driven approach. How can we best relate to Agile and plan driven projects effort to reduce uncertainty in project

A. Plan drive project strive to reduce almost all means uncertainty at the start of the project and gradually reduce end uncertainty while agile project strives to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty

B. Plan drive project strive to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty while agile project strives to gradually reduce end uncertainty and means uncertainty is eliminated mid way of the project

C. Agile project strives to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty while plan driven project strives to eliminate means and end uncertainty at the start of the project

D. Plan drive project strive to reduce almost all end uncertainty at the start of the project and gradually reduce means uncertainty while agile project strives to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty
sarawat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sarawat Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:19 pm

“Project risk is highest at the beginning of a project”. In asserting this statement, which one of the following actually contradicts it through its practices?
2 Iterative methods
3 Agile
4 XP

my option would be 1 Traditional project management.

but how come i didn't see this question in quampus. :|

Thanks n Regards,
Sanjay Singh Rawat
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:22 pm

This is the Quampus question not the other one :)

All projects have to deal with certain level of uncertainty. Uncertainty can arise from deficiencies in several different areas of knowledge such as contextual information about the product, project, our understanding of underlying processes. PMO of an organization which specializes in building anti money laundering product for banking sector have some projects which have recently transitioned from traditional waterfall to Agile methodology while some projects are still using traditional plan driven approach. How can we best relate to Agile and plan driven projects effort to reduce uncertainty in project

A. Plan drive project strive to reduce almost all means uncertainty at the start of the project and gradually reduce end uncertainty while agile project strives to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty

B. Plan drive project strive to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty while agile project strives to gradually reduce end uncertainty and means uncertainty is eliminated mid way of the project

C. Agile project strives to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty while plan driven project strives to eliminate means and end uncertainty at the start of the project

D. Plan drive project strive to reduce almost all end uncertainty at the start of the project and gradually reduce means uncertainty while agile project strives to gradually reduce end and means uncertainty
sarawat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sarawat Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:27 pm

option d

Thanks n Regards,
Sanjay Singh Rawat
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:32 pm

Yes based on this my question was when is Risk high in Agile Project and Traditional project, start, end or during execution :)
sarawat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sarawat Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:39 pm

okay, i see that.

I think you are ready for exam.

Thanks n Regards,
Sanjay Singh Rawat
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:00 pm

I do not know If I am exam ready or not but I have scheduled by exam already :) . To be honest with you I am completely nervous. I was not that nervous during my PMP exam.I believe ACP questions are more tricky than PMP :(

See there is some contradiction. If you look at option D for Quampus question its saying traditional project try to decuce Risk at the biggining of the project. But if you look at option 1 from the other question it exactly the opposite.

So for the other question I opted for option 3. Becasue in Agile project we do not have much risk in the start of the project based on option D from quampus question.
sarawat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sarawat Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:42 am

2 Iterative methods
3 Agile
4 XP

my option would be 1 Traditional project management.

Reason is as follows

in traditional project management we prepare plan and baseline all requirements right at planning level.
we pretty much spend lot of time in planning all activities in assumption that all will go as per our plan.
then we begin execution phase and most of the time we end up making changes in our baselined plan because of may be unforeseen risk.
if this was the case then why did we spend lot of time in planning phase. after reaching execution phase we realized that we need to go back and make changes in our plan.
the point is, we end up wasting lot of time in planning phase because seems like we have to redo things.

now if you read the the question again - it says when at the beginning of the project risk is higher then which practice contradicts the way it implemented in reality.

we know project risk are higher at beginning stage even though we end up performing detailed level of planning.

this is not their in case of other agile practices they have mentioned.

let me know if this brings some clarity.

Thanks n Regards,
Sanjay Singh Rawat
sarawat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sarawat Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:02 am

option d

reason is as follows.

the reason is same as for the previous question.
for all traditional project we spend lot of time in preparing plans in planning phase.
we plan with such a confidence that we make sure we have addressed all end uncertainty and hence its good to go for us.

we make assumption that all end uncertainly are taken care and hence we can begin working on this project.

if you can recollect earlier days when you might have follow traditional plan then we start anticipating the risk that may appear and mitigation plan that might help to lower down the risk.
we start visualizing the horizon all though we didn't reach their.

so in plan driven project, first we try to address/end all uncertainly that we anticipate at end stage. then we start addressing rest uncertainty in middle as an when we progress.

similarly for agile projects, we dont all such activities in advance. we do it as an when we reach to that point. [ last responsible moment]

Thanks n Regards,
Sanjay Singh Rawat
bs_pani

Postby bs_pani Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:14 pm

Many thanks Sanjay for a detailed explanation?
sarawat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby sarawat Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:05 am

you welcome

Thanks n Regards,
Sanjay Singh Rawat
EsakkiMuthu
Contributor
Contributor