Process groups

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
KaurP
Participant
Participant

Process groups

Postby KaurP Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:49 pm

All of the following are characteristics of Project Management Process Groups EXCEPT:

A. Project Management Process Groups are linked by the outputs they produce.
B. The Process Groups are seldom either discrete or one-time events; they are overlapping activities that
occur throughout the project.
C. All of the processes are generally needed on all projects, and all of their interactions apply to all projects
or project phases conducted in a controlled environment.

D. When a project is divided into phases, the Process Groups are used, as appropriate, to effectively drive
the project to completion in a controlled manner.

Please help me understand option D-

By 'the Process Groups are used, as appropriate,' does it mean that we can tailor them.

Process groups and Processes are iterative or overlapping in nature however process groups cannot be tailored as we can tailor the processes as per different project needs. Did I get it right?

Thanks!
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Process groups

Postby manishpn Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:35 pm

KaurP wrote:All of the following are characteristics of Project Management Process Groups EXCEPT:

A. Project Management Process Groups are linked by the outputs they produce.
B. The Process Groups are seldom either discrete or one-time events; they are overlapping activities that
occur throughout the project.
C. All of the processes are generally needed on all projects, and all of their interactions apply to all projects
or project phases conducted in a controlled environment.

D. When a project is divided into phases, the Process Groups are used, as appropriate, to effectively drive
the project to completion in a controlled manner.
Multiphased project are usually long / complex projects.
when project is divided into multiple phase, each of the phase can be treated as mini project itself and it may contain all or some of the five process groups of a project. This assures create control over the process and the delivery of a clear deliverable from one phase to another.
e.g.
if you have project for building a hi tech military combat aircraft, there can be multiple phases from simulation designing, building protype, Quality assurance, to actually building the aircraft

Please help me understand option D-

By 'the Process Groups are used, as appropriate,' does it mean that we can tailor them.

Process groups and Processes are iterative or overlapping in nature however process groups cannot be tailored as we can tailor the processes as per different project needs. Did I get it right?

Thanks!
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”