Schedule Management - Scheduling Tool( T&T)

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
Venkat
Contributor
Contributor

Schedule Management - Scheduling Tool( T&T)

Postby Venkat Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:50 pm

Hi Saket,

What is the scheduling tool exactly? I couldn't be able to understand it though reading it couple of times in PMBOK.
Could you please explain?

Thanks,
Venkat
oberoi.amit
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Schedule Management - Scheduling Tool( T&T)

Postby oberoi.amit Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:32 pm

As far as my understanding it is a software to determine the project schedule, where in we put all our scheduling details, which we have got it from other processes, like activities, dependencies,
activity resources required, activity durations. After putting these all details into the tool, we can produce the project schedule.

Saket please correct me if I am wrong.
namita

Postby namita Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:30 pm

What is Scehduling tool? As per PMBOK 5

Its a tool that provides schedule component names, definitions, structural relationships, and formats that support the application of a scheduling method.

Now you need to remember that to develop a schedule for your project you need few things, i.e. scheduling tool, scheduling method, schedule model

Let's take an example to understand this. You are the PM of a project and creating schedule management plan where you need to mention the scheduling tool and method you are going to use for your project. you mention as below

tool: MPP
Method: CPM

Now using CPM inside MPP you create a model to be used. On that model you give your project specific activities, constraints, relationships and dependencies to come up with a project schedule in develop project schedule

In nut shell, Yes this is a software (can be MPP, excel sheet or even word doc customized) which is part of PMIS and eventually Enterprise Env factors, which is used along with scheduling method to come up with a model to be used by your project
Venkat
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Venkat Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:26 pm

Thanks, it's clear now.

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”