risk response/contingency plan/workaround/fallback

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
ajaynit
Contributor
Contributor

risk response/contingency plan/workaround/fallback

Postby ajaynit Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:39 pm

Manish Sir,

i have illustrated my understanding below, please confirm if i am good here.

Scenario:
i am managing a event and calling 10 speakers from all over globe
all have accepted the invitation .

risk:

looking at lesson learnt from previous events ,atleast one speaker may turn up only on last day of event instead of initially planed 2nd day of event

Risk response:
Active acceptance accept (plan contingency reserve,means if it occurs then that speaker's slot can be given for very last day)

now event is in progress and the risk occurred (speaker told he cant make on 2nd day of event)
initial response to this risk also will not work as you realize the last day's agenda is very tight.

workaround:
Use webex and request speaker if he can deliver his speech through virtual communication mode.means this says that i am still trying to make my plan (Plan A) of live session with speaker possible

fallback:
workaround also didnt work due to network issue so this slot is turned into open Q & A session. means PLAN A of speaker's speech is compltely changed to Plan B now.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: risk response/contingency plan/workaround/fallback

Postby manishpn Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 am

ajaynit wrote:Manish Sir,

i have illustrated my understanding below, please confirm if i am good here.

Scenario:
i am managing a event and calling 10 speakers from all over globe
all have accepted the invitation .

risk:

looking at lesson learnt from previous events ,atleast one speaker may turn up only on last day of event instead of initially planed 2nd day of event

Risk response:
Active acceptance accept (plan contingency reserve,means if it occurs then that speaker's slot can be given for very last day)

now event is in progress and the risk occurred (speaker told he cant make on 2nd day of event)
initial response to this risk also will not work as you realize the last day's agenda is very tight.

workaround:
Use webex and request speaker if he can deliver his speech through virtual communication mode.means this says that i am still trying to make my plan (Plan A) of live session with speaker possible
this is not a workaround, workarounds are for unidentified risk and uses management reserves
this is a fallback plan, fallback plan is implemented when the contingency plan fails or is not fully effective

fallback:
workaround also didnt work due to network issue so this slot is turned into open Q & A session. means PLAN A of speaker's speech is compltely changed to Plan B now.

this is not relevant
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”