Change request and Baseline

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
suresi00
Contributor
Contributor

Change request and Baseline

Postby suresi00 Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:59 pm

Nick is managing a project which was original estimated at$120,000. From project start time till now, several approved change requests had been implemented and changes are made to the project. The cost of doing impact analysis for the changes was $3,000 and cost of implementing these changes was $10,000. Which of the following is rightly represents the current cost baseline for the project?

While doing this questions several things came to mind. I hope manish sir can clarify these

1, I get a change request , I do impact analysis and present to CCB ( based on Saket's sir video) . Change can get accepted and I get the funding for the change as well as impact analysis.

2. What happens if the change is denied , how do I get the money I spend for impact analysis?

In a time and material or CR it is ok because I can bill it. In FP I cannot account for these hrs.

Can you please ?
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Change request and Baseline

Postby manishpn Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:13 am

suresi00 wrote:Nick is managing a project which was original estimated at$120,000. From project start time till now, several approved change requests had been implemented and changes are made to the project. The cost of doing impact analysis for the changes was $3,000 and cost of implementing these changes was $10,000. Which of the following is rightly represents the current cost baseline for the project?

While doing this questions several things came to mind. I hope manish sir can clarify these

1, I get a change request , I do impact analysis and present to CCB ( based on Saket's sir video) . Change can get accepted and I get the funding for the change as well as impact analysis.

There is no rule , lets assume you did impact analysis and the Change was rejected so no change was approved , there is no way to get impact analysis cost approved.
So in general the PM has some project level buffer which is used for such impact analysis, however in some case if PM wants the Change request presented to CCB will include impact analysis cost as well.
But i would recommend to exclude impact analysis from change budget unless questions has any explicit mention of the same

2. What happens if the change is denied , how do I get the money I spend for impact analysis?
answered above
In a time and material or CR it is ok because I can bill it. In FP I cannot account for these hrs.
in FP usually seller has enough buffer cushion for such activities, also in T and M its not always easy to bill as T and M contract will have definition of what activities can be billed by seller

Can you please ?
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”