Conduct Procurement

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
suresi00
Contributor
Contributor

Conduct Procurement

Postby suresi00 Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:45 pm

A new term I learned thought of sharing with the forum. Just in case

During the opening rounds of contract negotiation, the other party uses a fait accompli tactic.
Which of the following statements is true about fait accompli tactics?
A. One party claims the issue under discussion was documented and accepted as part of Scope
Verification.
B. One party claims the issue under discussion has already been decided and can't be changed.
C. One party claims to accept the offer of the other party, provided a contract change request is
submitted describing the offer in detail.
D. One party agrees to accept the offer of the other party but secretly knows they will bring the
issue back up at a later time.

I didn't know what was fait accompli. May be you guys know.

Fait accompli is a negotiation tactic .

Don’t let your negotiation deteriorate into a done deal even before you have started talking! Be wary of the fait accompli.

Examples
Violate a patent, and then work on the settlement
• Start a lawsuit, then talk
• Have a machine installed, then reject it and ask for a credit
• Declare bankruptcy before entering a settlement negotiation
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Conduct Procurement

Postby manishpn Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:07 am

suresi00 wrote:A new term I learned thought of sharing with the forum. Just in case

During the opening rounds of contract negotiation, the other party uses a fait accompli tactic.
Which of the following statements is true about fait accompli tactics?
A. One party claims the issue under discussion was documented and accepted as part of Scope
Verification.
B. One party claims the issue under discussion has already been decided and can't be changed.
C. One party claims to accept the offer of the other party, provided a contract change request is
submitted describing the offer in detail.
D. One party agrees to accept the offer of the other party but secretly knows they will bring the
issue back up at a later time.

I didn't know what was fait accompli. May be you guys know.

Fait accompli is a negotiation tactic .

Don’t let your negotiation deteriorate into a done deal even before you have started talking! Be wary of the fait accompli.

Examples
Violate a patent, and then work on the settlement
• Start a lawsuit, then talk
• Have a machine installed, then reject it and ask for a credit
• Declare bankruptcy before entering a settlement negotiation

I have never seen any questions so far in PMP exam around this, yes its a negotiation tactic, but I don not think you need to know about it for PMP.
It is an unfair tactic to do /act in a manner which is not ethical, sometimes outside your authotrity to create the damage/problems for the other party and then let them act for rectifying it, that sometimes give you a temporary upper hand in negotiations,
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”