Mock Test clarification :Negotiate with FM

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
balaji1987
Beginner
Beginner

Mock Test clarification :Negotiate with FM

Postby balaji1987 Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:06 am

Kevin is a project manager working to improve production efficiency. He discovers that the ongoing process requires some amendments. In order to implement better practices, he would need resources to work in shifts. Kevin's functional manager does not agree to provide him with resource who can work in all shifts. What should Kevin do next?
Options:
A: Talk to the sponsor.
B: Highlight this risk to the senior stakeholders.
C: Re-plan the change implementation so that existing resource can be just utilized.
D: Negotiate with the Functional Manager.

Clarification :
1. When we will need to talk with Sponsor - As per my knowledge we will talk when we need additional resources or extra time needed to complete the project or some unforeseen risk which really require sponsor attention or during project charter approval - Provided we've done investigation or found out alternative (and nothing helped to solve the issue on Cost and Time or scope)
2. Highlight this risk to the senior stakeholders. : Highlighting or consulting senior stakeholders will be done when we need resources or some board level decessions.
3. Re-plan the change implementation so that existing resource can be just utilized - this can be done with PM level only
4. Negotiate with the Functional Manager -By negotiating with FM will that issue will be solved? i don't think so , since PM has already talk with with FM. - i was suprised to get #D as answer.

Please clarify the same.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Mock Test clarification :Negotiate with FM

Postby manishpn Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 pm

balaji1987 wrote:Kevin is a project manager working to improve production efficiency. He discovers that the ongoing process requires some amendments. In order to implement better practices, he would need resources to work in shifts. Kevin's functional manager does not agree to provide him with resource who can work in all shifts. What should Kevin do next?
Options:
A: Talk to the sponsor.
B: Highlight this risk to the senior stakeholders.
C: Re-plan the change implementation so that existing resource can be just utilized.
D: Negotiate with the Functional Manager.

Clarification :
1. When we will need to talk with Sponsor -
When PM has exhausted all options or there is a super urgent help needed which only Sponsor can solve
As per my knowledge we will talk when we need additional resources or extra time needed to complete the project or some unforeseen risk which really require sponsor attention or during project charter approval - Provided we've done investigation or found out alternative (and nothing helped to solve the issue on Cost and Time or scope)
2. Highlight this risk to the senior stakeholders. :
Right now this is a risk but not need to highlight to senior stakeholder
Highlighting or consulting senior stakeholders will be done when we need resources or some board level decessions.
3. Re-plan the change implementation so that existing resource can be just utilized -
If PM finally concludes that FM will never provide a resource to work in night shift
this can be done with PM level only
4. Negotiate with the Functional Manager -By negotiating with FM will that issue will be solved? i don't think so , since PM has already talk with with FM. - i was suprised to get #D as answer.
PM need to use negotiations till there is a deadlock, FM can say no for the first time but that does not mean that its a final no, atleast the question does not say so

Please clarify the same.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”