Conflict Resoluion Qns

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Conflict Resoluion Qns

Postby pmp_learner Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:23 pm

Hi,
Please find below the question I found online. I made a correct choice. But would like to share the reasoning behind choosing the answer and get your opinion on that as well:

Qsn:
While talking to one of your team leader, you discovered that he was in constant criticism from a team member about the allocation of tasks. The team leader also indicates that the specific team member also delays many tasks, causing delays in project schedule. What action should you take as a Project Manager?
A. Direct your team leader to issue a memo
B. Replace the team member
C. Conduct a meeting with the sponsor, team leader and the team member
D. Approach the team member and understand his point of view

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

A is incorrect choice. As you need to first understand the issue. As a PM you would want to resolve the conflicts within team. First team members should be able to resolve the conflicts themselves. If not then PM should take steps for conflict resolutions.
B, Is definite No.. Replacing team member is not the solution. You need to know the root cause of conflict.
C: PM can decide to meet with both the parties together who are involve in conflict.. Team leader and Team member in this case. As a PM you may not want to involve sponsor in this meeting at this stage.
D: This is the best choice to make for this qsn: PM in the given scenario have heard Team leaders' point of view. He should also talk to team member to know his point of view and source of conflict. Hearing both the party's view will help PM in finding the root cause of the problem.

Please let me know your thoughts on option C and D.

Thanks
Kavita
kushalks87
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Conflict Resoluion Qns

Postby kushalks87 Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:20 am

Hi Kavita,

I would go with D as you need to listen to the team member as well so as to decide best course of action rather than blindly trusting TL's feedback.

However can you explain the first option. What is memo?
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Postby pmp_learner Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:45 am

Hi Kushal,
Memo is a written note.. in this case I think they are talking about Team leader issuing a formal written warning to team member.. This will not be the first /Best option to choose as conflict resolution technique.

Hope this helps.
Regards
Kavita
kushalks87
Contributor
Contributor

Postby kushalks87 Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:00 pm

Thanks Kavita. Indeed issuing a memo is not the correct right thing in this context

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”