Human Resource MGMT Query on Formal vs On Job Training

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Human Resource MGMT Query on Formal vs On Job Training

Postby pmp_learner Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Hi,
I came across another question while doing assessment test for HR mgmt.

Qsn: You are managing a software development project. Your project has been assigned with few inexperienced which are not able to perform their work as per the plan. You don’t have so much time available to recommend formal training for these team members, as it will delay the project. What can be done to handle the situation?

Options:
A) Escalate to senior management
B) Arrange on job training
C) Get the team members replaced
D) Change the schedule to accommodate inexperience team members

I went for Option A - Escalate to senior management. But the correct answer was mentioned B- Arrange On Job Training with the following explanation:
B is the Best thing a project manager can do in the given situation. It will improve skill and knowledge of the team members and get them prepared for the work as well. On job training help you to control cost as well.

Let me share my thought process for this question for making choice ( doing elimination process from D to A):
D) Change the schedule to accommodate inexperience team members
- This is not the correct choice in the given situation. Question indicates that not enough time for providing formal training, so changing schedule /delaying project target date is not an option
C) Get the team member replaced
- This could be a valid option in this case, but not the first or best thing for PM to do. Even though project manager may need to replace the team members in order to meet the project timeline, he would need to discuss the situation with Sr management or functional managers
B) Arrange on job training
- Question states that Project manager doesn't not have time for formal training, in this case On the Job training is an alternative option, but might not be the most appropriate thing for PM to do, as team members are inexperienced, on job training will help them in learning the skills while performing project work, but still they might take longer than the experienced team members. So there are good chances that even though PM provides On Job training, project will be delayed. So in my opinion this will not be best choice.
A) Escalate to senior management
- Based on the above analysis I mentioned this is the right thing to do in my opinion.

Seeking your help here now. If my analysis is wrong, what am I missing here? Can the option B be backed up by PMBOK reference.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks - Kavita
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Human Resource MGMT Query on Formal vs On Job Training

Postby manishpn Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:49 pm

we discussed this on 19 aug clarification session
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
akitut

Re: Human Resource MGMT Query on Formal vs On Job Training

Postby akitut Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:15 pm

Manish,

For the benefit of the audience, if you could brief what was the explanation given.

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”