Clarification on OBS and WBS

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Clarification on OBS and WBS

Postby pmp_learner Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Hi,
While doing assessment test for human resource management KA, I came across the following question:

Qsn:
Out of the following, what is the BEST way to show at a glance, all the work packages or project activities assigned to an organizational unit?

Options:
A) Organizational Breakdown Structure
B) Authority Vesting Diagram
C) Work Breakdown Structure
D) Roles and Responsibilities Chart

I would have expected Responsibility Assignment Matrix, however based on the given choices I thought that probably Option C - Work Breakdown structure seems the best choice. As the question is not asking about the activities assigned to individuals.. it mentions project activities assigned to an organizational unit...

However the correct answer is A - OBS with the below explanation:
Organizational Breakdown Structure (OBS) - A hierarchical representation of the project organization that illustrates the relationship between project activities and the organizational units that will perform those activities.

Per my understanding OBS is A hierarchical representation of the project organization that illustrates the relationship between project Human Resources.. It doesn't include the project Activities.. probably another hierarchical diagram can be created to include project activities to OBS, but originally and by definition OBS is for representing hierarchical relationship between project resource..
Can you please throw some light on this when you get a chance.

Thanks
pmp_learner
Participant
Participant

Re: Clarification on OBS and WBS

Postby pmp_learner Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi,
Please ignore this question. Found the details on OBS in PMBOK, page 261.
Per PMBOK:
"While the WBS shows a breakdown of project deliverables, the organizational breakdown
structure (OBS) is arranged according to an organization’s existing departments, units, or teams with the
project activities or work packages listed under each department.
An operational department such as
information technology or purchasing can see all of its project responsibilities by looking at its portion of
the OBS."

So this question is straight from OBS definition.

Thanks

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”