chennai Banner

Queries from project Frame work

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
aparna2017

Queries from project Frame work

Postby aparna2017 Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:39 am

1. what is difference between Project coordinator and expeditor?why we have two roles?
2. what is difference in prohjectised and strong matrix org
>>Peter has been a project manager in a real estate company for 8 years; he reports to board of directors and has full authority on his projects. What kind of organizational structure does Peter work in?--Projectised org
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Queries from project Frame work

Postby saket Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:19 am

You may like to see the history of these conversations:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3224&p=14450

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=875&p=2787
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
aparna2017

Postby aparna2017 Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:27 pm

Hi Saket

I could not get answer to my question :what is difference between Project coordinator and expeditor?why we have two roles?

on link mentioned by you
also I am looking for some tips and tricks from your end not copy paste of PMBOK glossary by other members
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:11 am

Do you have these two roles in your project? Project coordinator and expeditor terms are not mentioned in PMBOK they are just discussed in Rita's book and no one can dictate what role we can have in our projects. The PMP exam is the exam of how we see project management getting implemented in our experience. If the content makes you feel that in project you have Project Coordinator, Project Expeditor and Project Manager than you need to fix the approach of reading Rita, The intent was, in functional organization when person who takes care of Project Management usually has very less power and accountability for project success is many time called Project Coordinator , In weak matrix organization person who takes care of Project Management has some role to make things fast and they are many time called Project Expeditor . As I use the word many time, so PMBOK can't mandate that you see person name expeditor in weak matrix organization.

we see clients who succeed in PMP exam keeps PMBOK and content as a reference and they apply their experience on top of it. Here i wrote blog based on exam experience of many clients, it generally requires looking at contents from different perspectives.

I Prepared Well Still I Failed In PMP® Exam : https://www.izenbridge.com/blog/prepare ... -pmp-exam/

I suggest you be active at forum , not only to ask questions but also to share your view on others questions.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
aparna2017

Postby aparna2017 Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:42 am

Hi Saket

I raised this question as i could not get c;lear picture while answering to the assessment questiions

A drug manufacturing organization has several R &D projects running across the organization. Many of these projects are run from multiple locations while some of them are run in tight matrix mode. David and Peter, who are managing their respective projects, happen to meet over coffee in office pantry. David is frustrated as he is not able to make or enforce decisions and his role is more or less like staff assistant, Peter however mentions that he (Peter) has some authority and power to make decisions. How Best would you describe this scenario?
David and Peter are working in Strong Matrix organization but have different powers
David and Peter are working in Balanced Matrix organization and David is Coordinator and Peter is Expeditor
David and Peter are working in Weak matrix organization and David is Expeditor and Peter is coordinator
David and Peter are working in Weak Matrix setup and David is Coordinator and Peter is Expeditor

also i donot plan to follow multiple books and stick to izenbridge course only
checking otjer questions and replying to them is a good suggestion
I will try to follow same
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:48 am

aparna2017 wrote:1. what is difference between Project coordinator and expeditor?why we have two roles?

In weak matrix organization there can be 2 roles ( PMBOK collects data from what is observes from industry so we should not really worry why we have 2 roles rather understand them)
Simple way to remember
- There is no formal Project manager in Weak Matrix , the power lies with Functional manager(s)
- Cordinator as name suggests is someone who will help coordinate operational tasks with some degree of autority/decision making power. To what extent the power lies with coordinator is decided by functional managers. for e.g. cordinator can approve invoices only upto $X value.
- Expeditor on the other hand is more of a messenger, he only communicates messages from higher up, has no decision making power.

For exam just understand and make a mental note of this

2. what is difference in projectized and strong matrix org

this is clearly explained in our learning material.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilG2gkjDSsU

>>Peter has been a project manager in a real estate company for 8 years; he reports to board of directors and has full authority on his projects. What kind of organizational structure does Peter work in?--Projectised org
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:51 am

aparna2017 wrote:Hi Saket

I raised this question as i could not get c;lear picture while answering to the assessment questiions

A drug manufacturing organization has several R &D projects running across the organization. Many of these projects are run from multiple locations while some of them are run in tight matrix mode. David and Peter, who are managing their respective projects, happen to meet over coffee in office pantry. David is frustrated as he is not able to make or enforce decisions and his role is more or less like staff assistant, Peter however mentions that he (Peter) has some authority and power to make decisions. How Best would you describe this scenario?
David and Peter are working in Strong Matrix organization but have different powers
David and Peter are working in Balanced Matrix organization and David is Coordinator and Peter is Expeditor
David and Peter are working in Weak matrix organization and David is Expeditor and Peter is coordinator
David and Peter are working in Weak Matrix setup and David is Coordinator and Peter is Expeditor

also i donot plan to follow multiple books and stick to izenbridge course only
checking otjer questions and replying to them is a good suggestion
I will try to follow same

I hope with my explanation you will be able to understand the option for above question
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”