CSM Forum Banner

Record Management System

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
rajatahaali
Beginner
Beginner

Record Management System

Postby rajatahaali Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:39 am

What is record management system? Should this be an output of some process rather than a tool? And if this is a tool then why is it used only in control procurement and not in conduct procurement where we are getting all responses from bidders, analyzing the bidders and awarding the contracts. Moreover , we get variances from all control processes , then shouldn't this tool be used to record all such information. Please help me clarify this query. Thanks a lot
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Record Management System

Postby manishpn Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:29 pm

rajatahaali wrote:What is record management system?
the definition is given in PMBOK 12.3.2.7 let me know if you have confusion in that
Should this be an output of some process rather than a tool?
NO outputs will be records which will be created or updated using RMS,
And if this is a tool then why is it used only in control procurement and not in conduct procurement where we are getting all responses from bidders, analyzing the bidders and awarding the contracts.
RMS is tool used to create and edit legally required records (contractually necessary documents etc) , unless the contract is in place, all other document used n conduct procurement are not legally valid , hence RMS is not needed for conduct procurement.

Moreover , we get variances from all control processes , then shouldn't this tool be used to record all such information.
For anything that is not a legal requirements u dont need to formally record in RMS, you can use any other document management system
Please help me clarify this query. Thanks a lot
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
rajatahaali
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rajatahaali Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:19 pm

Thanks a lot sir for excellent clarification.
rajatahaali
Beginner
Beginner

Postby rajatahaali Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:27 pm

Just one last query regarding RMS. PMBOOK says "It consists of a specific set of processes , related control functions , and automation tools that are consolidated and combined as part of project management information system. The system contains a retrievable archive of contract documents and correspondence "

My understanding fromthis is that RMS is a sub component of Project Management Information system and we deposit all project related "legal" documents in that system . This system has the capability to retrieve all such legal documents related to project whenever needed. Please correct me if I understand it wrongly
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:22 am

rajatahaali wrote:Just one last query regarding RMS. PMBOOK says "It consists of a specific set of processes , related control functions , and automation tools that are consolidated and combined as part of project management information system. The system contains a retrievable archive of contract documents and correspondence "

My understanding fromthis is that RMS is a sub component of Project Management Information system and we deposit all project related "legal" documents in that system .
Yes thats correct, if project does not used PMIS (which is rare) then RMS can be an indepdent system.
This system has the capability to retrieve all such legal documents related to project whenever needed. Please correct me if I understand it wrongly

Yes store and retrieve legal documents
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”