chennai Banner

your cousion is one of three short listed candidates

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
Housam Bassal
Contributor
Contributor

your cousion is one of three short listed candidates

Postby Housam Bassal Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:23 pm

While going through a list of candidates to be hired for your project, you find that your cousin is one the 3 short listed candidates. You know that she was desperately looking for job. After reviewing these resumes, you'll be sending them to the electronics engineer for a technical interview. Having a first look at the 3 short listed resumes, you realize that they have similar qualifications and experiences. What should you do?
A. To avoid conflict of interest, ignore your cousin's resume but forward the other two resumes.
B. Forward all three resumes.
C. Call your cousin and conduct an informal interview yourself before forwarding the resumes.
D. Consult your boss before forwarding the resumes for interview.

B - Send all three candidate's resumes Since all the candidates have similar profiles, all three deserve a full chance of evaluation. Because you have neither short listed the resumes nor will you be the interviewer or make the final decision, there is no question of discrimination, impartiality or conflict of interest. [PMI Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, Page 4] [Prof. Responsibility]

I think the correct answer should be D, because in future if your cousin has been selected , he/she will work for your project, and your manager should be aware of that even if you did not participate in selection. what do you think? :?
Housam Bassal
Ecuador - Quito
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/housam-bassal-49984357
Prateek_1201
Beginner
Beginner

Re: your cousion is one of three short listed candidates

Postby Prateek_1201 Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:48 am

Thanks for posting this...

I also have one question on this . Source : Simplilearn

You are interviewing candidates for a position in the project, when you receive the resume of a distant relative who is desperately in need of a job. What should you do?
A. Give him the job but insist on good performance
B. Ask the candidate to apply somewhere else
C. Excuse yourself from the selection process declaring your position
D. Do nothing and go with the panel decision.

Here I selected option D but source says correct option is C .
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:57 pm

Housam Bassal wrote:While going through a list of candidates to be hired for your project, you find that your cousin is one the 3 short listed candidates. You know that she was desperately looking for job. After reviewing these resumes, you'll be sending them to the electronics engineer for a technical interview. Having a first look at the 3 short listed resumes, you realize that they have similar qualifications and experiences. What should you do?
A. To avoid conflict of interest, ignore your cousin's resume but forward the other two resumes.
C. Call your cousin and conduct an informal interview yourself before forwarding the resumes.

B - Send all three candidate's resumes Since all the candidates have similar profiles, all three deserve a full chance of evaluation. Because you have neither short listed the resumes nor will you be the interviewer or make the final decision, there is no question of discrimination, impartiality or conflict of interest. [PMI Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, Page 4] [Prof. Responsibility]

I think the correct answer should be D, because in future if your cousin has been selected , he/she will work for your project, and your manager should be aware of that even if you did not participate in selection. what do you think? :?

I am not sure why you will have to consult your boss, the PM is not the only person evaluating, besides question clearly mentions that all resumes have similar skills and further evaluation will be done by electronics engineer.
Conflict of interest will rise if PM is going to influence the selection which is not the case.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:58 pm

Prateek_1201 wrote:Thanks for posting this...

I also have one question on this . Source : Simplilearn

You are interviewing candidates for a position in the project, when you receive the resume of a distant relative who is desperately in need of a job. What should you do?
A. Give him the job but insist on good performance
B. Ask the candidate to apply somewhere else
C. Excuse yourself from the selection process declaring your position
D. Do nothing and go with the panel decision.

Here I selected option D but source says correct option is C .
This is different scenario, in this case you are in interview panel and you can influence selection and therefore you have to excuse yourself,
not sure what prompted you to select option D?

Br,
Manish P
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
Housam Bassal
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Housam Bassal Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:09 pm

manishpn wrote:
Housam Bassal wrote:While going through a list of candidates to be hired for your project, you find that your cousin is one the 3 short listed candidates. You know that she was desperately looking for job. After reviewing these resumes, you'll be sending them to the electronics engineer for a technical interview. Having a first look at the 3 short listed resumes, you realize that they have similar qualifications and experiences. What should you do?

I am not sure why you will have to consult your boss, Because I think its better to inform the appropriate management for any possible future conflict of interest .the PM is not the only person evaluating, besides question clearly mentions that all resumes have similar skills and further evaluation will be done by electronics engineer. But might be in future someone in project team file a compline regarding the cordiality of the selection candidates for the project , so in this case, the senior manager should a ware of the situation.
Conflict of interest will rise if PM is going to influence the selection which is not the case.
Housam Bassal
Ecuador - Quito
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/housam-bassal-49984357
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Wed May 10, 2017 3:35 pm

good point but I still think its too early to inform your boss
Br,
Manish P