Postby sapmmkamal Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:06 am

Hi,
I came through below question in a quiz-
Who provides Resources for a Project
A. Project Manager
B. Sponsor
C. Stakeholder
D. Project Team

I my opinion, it should be Project Manager who has authority to provide the resources for a project
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Re: Who provide Resource for a Project

Postby manishpn Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:17 am

Sponsor provides budget to project and is responsible to provides resources to project
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
sapmmkamal

Postby sapmmkamal Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:13 pm

Hi,
Then what is the role of Project manager in resourcing
ankurjig
Contributor
Contributor

Postby ankurjig Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:26 pm

I will look at it this way. Typically the sponsor provides the budget for the project, including to hire the resources.

It is the functional teams who will actually work with the HR team to shortlist the candidates, conduct interviews and finally make an offer.

Role of PM will be to ensure that the process is followed as mentioned in the Human Resource Management plan including the Staffing Management plan. He will also work with the functional teams to influence and negotiate for hiring of team members from within or outside the organisation.

Any deviations, the PM discusses with the team, may bring to the notice of sponsor for resolution in some cases or raise a Change Request for approval to hire/replace a team member.

Ankur
Housam Bassal
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Housam Bassal Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 am

From PMBOK, P:32

Sponsor. A sponsor is the person or group who provides resources and support for the project and is accountable for enabling success. The sponsor may be external or internal to the project manager’s organization. From initial conception through project closure, the sponsor promotes the project. This includes serving as spokesperson to higher levels of management to gather support throughout the organization and promoting the benefits the project brings. The sponsor leads the project through the initiating processes until formally authorized, and plays a significant role in the development of the initial scope and charter. For issues that are beyond the control of the project manager, the sponsor serves as an escalation path. The sponsor may also be involved in other important issues such as authorizing
changes in scope, phase-end reviews, and go/no-go decisions when risks are particularly high. The sponsor also ensures a smooth transfer of the project’s deliverables into the business of the requesting organization after project closure.
Housam Bassal
Ecuador - Quito
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/housam-bassal-49984357
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Wed May 10, 2017 4:09 pm

sapmmkamal wrote:Hi,
I came through below question in a quiz-
Who provides Resources for a Project
A. Project Manager
B. Sponsor
C. Stakeholder
D. Project Team

I my opinion, it should be Project Manager who has authority to provide the resources for a project

PM is responsible to ramp up team and other resources for the project, however its the Sponsor who provides the resources.
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”