CSM Forum Banner

Resource required

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
pank_pmp

Resource required

Postby pank_pmp Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:54 am

A very critical resource is on another project team. It is very important you get his time for your project. You have contacted his team's manager multiple times, but
have received a poor response. What should you consider doing next?

A. Plan for an alternate resource since this resource is not available.
B. Try to use management influence to obtain the resource's time.
C. Contact the manager once again to see if he can help.
D. Train another resource within your project.

I have posted this in open forum but would like to discuss here! I opted for Option D, since I believe the better strategy is to develop your own resource (if time allows) rather than contacting higher management to get the things resolved.

Answer is Option B, I am guessing because of the phrase in question but have received poor response. My question is that there is no time constraint defined in question which may force PM to involve Sr. Management in this scenario. I would have agreed if at all there would have time constraint, but in this case don't you think it will be wise to develop your own resource rather relying on somebody specifically!.

What you suggest?

Best,
Pankaj
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Resource required

Postby saket Mon Jan 12, 2015 4:24 pm

i read this question as , you are working in balanced or weak matrix organization and what do you do if you do not get support from one of the function head, and if i think like this the option B make good sense to me.

Because if i had dedicated resources i would have acquired all resources well.
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
pank_pmp

Postby pank_pmp Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:52 am

Hi Saket,

I do not find any mention of organization type in question (or we have to assume this as default) but since the situation says nothing is happening even after the discussions with functional manager option B seems to be more appropriate!

Thanks,
Pankaj
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby saket Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:42 pm

The question shows that you need to negotiate with Function manager. It shows resources are shared... and this only happen when you are not in strong matrix / projectized
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”