Confusion for CR and Change in Project Management Plan

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
rathodmk

Confusion for CR and Change in Project Management Plan

Postby rathodmk Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:58 pm

In your online class chapter "Develop Team ITTO", In Output, Saket Bansal says that "you may update project management plan directly or through CR depending upon change management plan."

But As I read in PMBOK, 9.4.3.3, It says "Any change to the project management plan goes through the organization’s change control process via a change request."

Please explain me which one is correct.
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Confusion for CR and Change in Project Management Plan

Postby saket Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:37 am

Thank you for raising this.

If I extend the same text you see "MAY REQUIRE ", why this might be needed

9.4.3.3 PROJECT MANAGEMENT PLAN UPDATES
Any change to the project management plan goes through the organization’s change control process via a change request. Components that may require a change request for the project management plan include but are not limited to the resource management plan, as described in Section 9.1.3.1.

4.6 PERFORM INTEGRATED CHANGE CONTROL
The Perform Integrated Change Control process is conducted from project start through completion and is the ultimate responsibility of the project manager. Change requests can impact the project scope and the product scope, as well as any project management plan component or any project document. Changes may be requested by any stakeholder involved with the project and may occur at any time throughout the project life cycle. The applied level of change control is dependent upon the applicationthe area, complexity of the specific project, contract requirements, and the context and environment in which the project is performed.

I see the PMBOK language is not very clear but I follow

The applied level of change control is dependent upon the application the area, complexity of the specific project, contract requirements, and the context and environment in which the project is performed

Especially with the more and more adaptive life cycle in usage, this is more relevant . Second PMBOK can not give a definitive statement like "you must do change request "

Yes I will raise this issue to PMI
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
rathodmk

Re: Confusion for CR and Change in Project Management Plan

Postby rathodmk Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:47 am

Thank you Saket for explaining this.

I am now following your statement "you may update project management plan directly or through CR depending upon change management plan."

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”