Perform Integrated Change Control

Exclusive forum for iZenBirdge PMP® clients
Prateek_1201
Beginner
Beginner

Perform Integrated Change Control

Postby Prateek_1201 Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:30 am

Hi Manish,

I would appreciate if you can please provide clarification on Below statement from PMBOK page # 96. ( 4.5 Perform Integrated Change Control) .

"The applied level of change control is dependent upon the application area,complexity of the specific project, contract requirements, and the context and environment in which the project is performed."

i am not able to understand this statement. How CCB is dependent upon " contract requirements " ? Can you please provide more information with example?

Thanks,
Prateek
saket
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Perform Integrated Change Control

Postby saket Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:17 am

The idea of this statement is , the Change Management process is not same for all the projects, if the project is simple (say in house improvement project ) you may have very light wight change management process and many of the changes may not need approval from Change Control Board. PM is authorize to decide. But for complex projects (say you are doing for some government) change management process can be very well define and you will not be able to change anything as PM till you get approval.

We touched upon this topic in recent discussion : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUbbkuXj-ng
Explore our online PMP Program , it makes PMP Easy :-) http://goo.gl/ZmD3xF

Image Image Image Image
Prateek_1201
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Prateek_1201 Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:40 pm

Thanks Saket.

Recently I came across a question on this topic. Below is the Question.

The applied level of change control is LEAST dependent upon:
A. Context and environment in which project is performed
B. Application area
C. Stakeholder risk tolerances
D. Contract requirements

I selected Option D but going by the statement from PMBOK correct answer is "C" . My opinion is that Stakeholder risk tolerances should be the major factor for CCB. For example , If Stakeholder says we will not accept any change that will cause project schedule/cost shift by 10% of baseline then CCB should reject any CR which will result in swing > 10%. I know it’s a silly question and I am sorry for this but I just want to get this clarified.

Thanks,
Prateek
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:42 pm

Prateek_1201 wrote:Thanks Saket.

Recently I came across a question on this topic. Below is the Question.

The applied level of change control is LEAST dependent upon:
A. Context and environment in which project is performed
B. Application area
C. Stakeholder risk tolerances
D. Contract requirements

I selected Option D but going by the statement from PMBOK correct answer is "C" . My opinion is that Stakeholder risk tolerances should be the major factor for CCB. For example , If Stakeholder says we will not accept any change that will cause project schedule/cost shift by 10% of baseline then CCB should reject any CR which will result in swing > 10%. I know it’s a silly question and I am sorry for this but I just want to get this clarified.

Thanks,
Prateek

I agree, C is not a good option, what is the source of this question?
from options provided application area should be preferred option
Br,
Manish P
PMP, PMI - ACP, SAFe Agilist
http://www.izenbridge.com/blog/7-effect ... ification/
Prateek_1201
Beginner
Beginner

Postby Prateek_1201 Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:29 pm

Thanks Manish. This question is from Troytec 1000 questions. This is based on old edition of PMBOK but I found it useful as it has very very lengthy questions and some tricky questions too.
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:33 am

as long as your are able to get your concepts cleared its ok to refer to old version questions bu need to be aware of which old information is referred to
Br,
Manish P
Housam Bassal
Contributor
Contributor

Postby Housam Bassal Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:42 pm

I agree, C is not a good option, what is the source of this question?
from options provided application area should be preferred option

according to Saket explanation above, and the definition of application area:

Application Area. A category of projects that have common components significant in such projects, but are not needed or present in all projects. Application areas are usually defined in terms of either the product (i.e., by similar technologies or production methods) or the type of customer (i.e., internal versus external, government versus commercial) or industry sector (i.e., utilities, automotive, aerospace, information technologies, etc.). Application areas can overlap.

I think application area has the same weight of other options, the level of change control can change dramatically depend on the application area.

for instance the level of change control in nuclear project is totally different than the level of change control in create new software.
Housam Bassal
Ecuador - Quito
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/housam-bassal-49984357
manishpn
Expert
Expert

Postby manishpn Wed May 10, 2017 4:16 pm

I would say that application area will have least impact on way changes are controlled from the options provided,
Br,
Manish P

Return to “PMP® Queries and Tips”